Re: [Groff] rationale for italic correction mechanism?

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: [Groff] rationale for italic correction mechanism?
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 03:06:24 -0600

On 11/11/13, Denis M. Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Kerning applies to glyphs from the same face, but italic correction
> applies to glyphs from different faces for which there are no tables.
> Usually (but probably not always) the latter is between words and
> punctuation, but the amount is an intelligent guess.

So does Heirloom troff's implementation work by using newly created
tables akin to the ones for kerning?  Or does it use an algorithm to
generate an intelligent guess?

> --
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments

I'm not sure you bolster your campaign by linking to a page that says,
in essence, "We give up -- the HTML e-mailers have won."  (-: