Re: [Groff] tables side-by-side

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: [Groff] tables side-by-side
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 18:04:57 -0400

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 17:13:16 +0100
Tadziu Hoffmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> > The main text stretches across the page (one column),
> > but I want the tables adjacent so that they can be more
> > easily compared.
> > What's the right way, please?
>
> I would do it with diversions (see attached roff source and
> resulting pdf).

Thanks, Tadziu.  I had to study your example to understand it.  It
looks very robust because, except for TS/TE, it leaves the ms macros out
of the equation.

I like to think I can float along atop -ms, and not punch through to
troff except when no -ms mechanism exists, such as local motion. Your
example demonstrates that when I start doing something -ms isn't really
set up for, it's better to drop into straight troff until the document
resumes its stately -ms pace.

--jkl