Re: [Groff] tables side-by-side

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: [Groff] tables side-by-side
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 18:05:01 -0400

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 19:16:02 +0100 (BST)
(Ted Harding) <address@hidden> wrote:

> Follow-up: I have found the source of your pronblem (the one
> to do with vertical displacement). When a table is oujtput using
> the .TS macro, a "display drop" vertical spacing is added (and
> the same happens for .EQ using eqn, and in other contexts).
>
> You can get rid of this (in ms macros) by setting the "display
> drop" to zero.

Many thanks, Ted.  Setting DD to zero did indeed get it closer; I also
had to set PD to zero.

DD isn't mentioned afaik in groff_ms or in usd-17.  That leads me with
two questions:

1.  Do you find the best way to really understand -ms is to read the
macros?  I keep hoping just to rely on the documentation.

2.  Is there a good/accepted convention for naming user-defined
registers?  I used

        .nr DD1 \n(DD
        .nr DD \n[DD1]

on the theory that /usr/share/tmac/ms.tmac is unlikely to use register
names longer than 2 letters.

--jkl