Re: [Groff] Equation Number using mom

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: [Groff] Equation Number using mom
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 13:30:42 -0700

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 07:20:18 -0700 (PDT)
Caleb <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have just switch from using tex into using groff and I think
> groff is really cool!  Anyway, I have this question: I want my
> equations to be numbered, so I type
>

> .EQ (1)
> z sup 2 = x sup 2 + y sup 2
> .EN
>
> It work well using -me, but it doesn't work using -mom, any
> suggestion?

Hello Caleb,

What documentation I have on eqn (and it isn't much), implied that
plain eqn, without a macro package, could insert an equation
number as you did in your example.  So I experimented and found
that I have misunderstood the docs.  Annoying.  I did some more
experimenting and came up with the following:

.PRINTSTYLE TYPESET
.QUAD LEFT
.START
.EQ
x = f ( y sup 2 / 2 ) + y sup 2 / 2
.EN
.BR
.RIGHT
.RLD 1v
(Equation 1-1)
.LEFT

It's rather a hack, I suppose, but it does work.  It would
be nicer if it was used with MOM's TAB and PAD features.  Alas,
I've not needed to use that part of MOM, so you're on your own.
:-)

If you really want, you can do the same thing with bare groff.  In
fact, that's what I came up with first.

.ad l
.EQ L
x = f ( y sup 2 / 2 ) + y sup 2 / 2
.EN
.br
.ad r
\r(Eqn. 2.4a)

Anyway, I hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"Come, muse, let us sing of rats."  -- James Grainger