Re: [Groff] need help resolving groff error

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] need help resolving groff error
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 23:16:28 +0100

On 09/10/13 21:24, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> He feels it may be related to fonts...
>
> I don't think so, cf Ralph's answer.

Which suggests that it may be related to mkstemp(3) usage.

>> we are more Windows knowledgeable.
>
> It would be great if you could help fix this since I don't use Windows
> at all.

FWIW, I recently proposed as a candidate mkstemp(3) addition to
MinGW[1]; within it, I see:

> int __mingw_mkstemp( int setmode, char *template )
> {
>   /* Implementation of the low-level functional support for mkstemp(3);
>    * this provides the formal function implementation, including support
>    * for adjustment of its behaviour w.r.t. temporary file persistence.
>    *
>    * By default, temporary files will persist until explicitly deleted;
>    * POSIX prescribes that temporary files are to be created with the
>    * following attributes, (with O_BINARY added, to ensure there is
>    * no undue influence from "helpful" text mode transformations):
>    */
>   static int omode = O_CREAT | O_EXCL | O_RDWR | O_BINARY;

so this implementation, at least, does take care of setting the stream
mode as O_BINARY.

[1]: Patch attached to https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2003/

Keith.