Re: [Groff] man file character encoding.

From: Federico Lucifredi
Subject: Re: [Groff] man file character encoding.
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 23:45:52 -0400

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 05:55:52PM -0400, Federico Lucifredi wrote:
>> On Sep 26, 2013, at 4:32 AM, Colin Watson <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Or use man-db instead, which is much smarter about character encodings
>>> and handles your situation out of the box with no configuration
>>> required; I just tested it to confirm this.
>>
>> Since both pagers use troff in the back-end, this is just a matter of
>> making the correct use of it.  Let me check if I am doing something
>> funky upstream, with Werner's information it should be relatively
>> simple.

> I don't think you should be under the false impression that it's a simple
> problem

Colin, I was referring to this bug specifically, not making the generic
statement you are taking this as.

We have patchsets for the genric problem as well, and it is not a huge issue,
but sure, that is a larger problem.  It was approached differently in man as it
was in man-db.

In any event, with all due respect, I would appreciate if you'd let me resolve
man's bugs without soapboxing about your package every time.  If I were to do
that when I see a bug that says "this works in man, but not in man-db", much
less reply with "okay, switch then!", we would be having quite a few "funny"
conversations.

Thanks -F

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - flucifredi at acm.org - GnuPG 0x4A73884C