Re: [Groff] PostScript rendering bug involving word with an umlaut

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: [Groff] PostScript rendering bug involving word with an umlaut
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:03:49 -0500

On 9/23/13, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
> It sortof got lost; actually, it's still sitting in my e-mail queue...
>
> I no longer have the energy (and the interest) to fully concentrate on
> groff, mainly because other issues require my time.  As mentioned in
> the old mail, however, some debugging would be necessary to find out
> why the workaround is necessary at all.

I am usually the last person to advocate for putting a workaround in
released code rather than finding the root of the problem.  However given
that (1) there seems to be no one with the time and expertise to properly
debug it, and (2) the workaround solves a legitimate problem without
(so far as I have have seen, in 2+ years of use) causing any harmful
side effects, perhaps committing the workaround (with a comment marking
it as such) is the right way to proceed in this case.  An item could be
added to groff's TODO to alert any future developers that the issue still
needs proper resolution.