Re: [Groff] need help with composite glyphs

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] need help with composite glyphs
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 08:05:45 +0200 (CEST)

> It would be useful were the \[] construct, if the NFC glyph is
> unavailable but the NFD constituents are, to use the same mechanism
> as \o'' to construct a fallback for the desired glyph.

Certainly.

> Also, I see that preconv converts ů to \[u016F] and ů to u\[u030A],
> neither of which fall back to overlaying \u and \ring when needed;
> and the sequence fails to work even with a font like U-T.

Yes, iconv is dumb.  I see that iconv on Macs is able to do NFD to NFC
conversion if you specify `utf-8-mac', but this is not universally
available.

Whoever wants to implement that in groff: `gnulib' comes with the
proper support out of the box: The module is called `uninorm/nfc'; the
header file is `uninorm.h', and the function to be used is probably
`u8_normalize'.