Re: [Groff] Groff Digest, Vol 106, Issue 3

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Groff Digest, Vol 106, Issue 3
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:46:32 -0600

Back in the 1980s, I knew an engineer at Bell Labs who used troff
and he always pronounced it tee-roff.  All of the people at HP who
used it also pronounced it the same way.

Likewise, at HP, we always prounounced nroff as en-roff, so the
logical way to pronounce groff would be gee-roff.

I've never heard professional Unix/Linux users pronounce them any
other way.

Same with vi (which is essentially an acronym for "visual interactive").
It's always been pronounced vee-eye, but vim is pronounced the same as
when used when referring to "vim and vigor".

I still refer to vim as vi out of habit, and because I've used it for
nearly 30 years.  I created a shell alias so when I invoke the command
from the terminal window I always type "vi".

Clarke