[Groff] Integrating Figures and text ?

From: John W. Smay
Subject: [Groff] Integrating Figures and text ?
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 08:33:20 -0700

This is a problem I have had for years and hope maybe someone, or everyone but
me, has a simple solution.  I write technical text and equations with groff,
then save as .ps (PostScript) and translate to .pdf (Acrobat).   I parallel I
generate figures, mostly complex line drawings or technical plots (not
photographs or "art") that are illustrations to accompany the groff text.  The
figures are made with other applications such as Canvas, fortran code, of c
code. but all (most) can be in either .ps, .eps. or .pdf format.

So in the end I have a file with groff generated code in .ps or .pdf, and a
separate file with the illustration in the same format.  The groff file is a
page with text at the top, a blank portion for the illustration, and more text
at the bottom. The problem is to combine the two files into a single .ps or
better .pdf that presents text and figure on the same page.   There must be a
command sequence to be embedded in the groff source that will import the file
with the illustration in a satisfactory fashion.

I have tried more alternate approaches than I cam remember, e.g.. importing
both the groff .ps or .pdf and the illustration into Canvas or Word, editing
onto a single page, then resaving the result, but every attempt is flawed in
some way!  Bolds disappear, subscripts get misplaced or resized or countless
other flaws.

Thanks in advance, John

John W. Smay
email: address@hidden