Re: [Groff] New project: `RUNOFF'

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] New project: `RUNOFF'
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 18:41:35 +0100

Hi again Bernd,

> `mom' is much like `RUNOFF'.  So `RUNOFF' is not dead.  The 2-letter
> abbreviations of classical `roff' make the `roff' files unreadable.

Funnily enough, mom's style of SHOUTING_ALL_THE_TIME has put me off
using it to date.  Far too noisy and intrusive for someone used to a
couple of lowercase letters here and there.  :-)  I keep thinking that
when I do take the plunge I'll set up quiet_aliases for all the things
as I use them.

> But in Linux, there are some man-page files that are capitalized.

Ignoring Perl, ;-) I see a few;  MAKEDEV, PAM, LDP.  Oh, and X.  PAM(7)
is also there as pam(7).

> I would prefer the man-page name `RUNOFF.7', because the original
> `RUNOFF' system was always written in upper case.  Any complaints?

I'd prefer not, but it's only a preference.  In man7 I see these
uppercase terms have lowercase man pages, so there seems to be more
tradition on it being lower.

    arp               gpl               koi8-r            url
    ascii             icmp              koi8-u            urn
    cp1251            ip                tcp               utf-8
    fifo              ipv6              udp               x25
    gfdl              iso_8859_*        uri

Cheers, Ralph.