Re: [Groff] dynamic grap ticks

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: [Groff] dynamic grap ticks
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 13:52:39 -0400

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 11:19:01 +0100
Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I tried many variations of
> >
> >     ticks sh { awk ... }
> >
> > without any luck.
>
> Use `sh' to produce the whole `ticks' line in a temporary file and
> then `copy' to read it in?

Ah, thanks, Ralph!

At first I tried

        ticks at copy "t"

which didn't work, but if I put "ticks at " at the front of the t file,
a simple

        copy "t"

where the ticks line belongs does the tick, as it were.

As an experiment, I then replaced that with

        sh { cat "t" }

and saw my file splatted up at the top of the output, above the graph.
Now I finally understand something that, to me at least, isn't terribly
obvious from the documentation: the "sh" commands are executed first,
before graphing starts, not at the point they appear in the document.

Regards,

--jkl