Re: [Groff] [Groff-commit] groff ChangeLog INSTALL.gen Makefile.in Makef

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] [Groff-commit] groff ChangeLog INSTALL.gen Makefile.in Makefil...
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:19:02 +0100

Hi Keith,

> > > (Interesting.  I have binary operators at the end of the line as,
> > > like a hyphen in text, they indicate there's more to follow.)
>
> This is true in shell scripts, but *not* in makefiles, (where the
> entire compound command must appear on one *logical* line).  Thus, it
> makes no semantic difference, in makefiles, whether the logical
> operator appears at the end of the continued line, or at the start of
> the continuation; the continued line *must* end with a backslash in
> either case.

I wasn't suggesting it removed the need for the backslash in the
makefile, just that it's more common to see |, &&,  and || at the end of
the line because sh(1) knows the line then continues without needing the
noise of a backslash.  I agree, that arrangement in a makefile then
needs a backslash added, it and the following LF being passed to sh(1).

Cheers, Ralph.