Re: [Groff] [Groff-commit] groff ChangeLog INSTALL.gen Makefile.in Makef

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] [Groff-commit] groff ChangeLog INSTALL.gen Makefile.in Makefil...
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 07:28:23 +0200 (CEST)

> I tried another run.  I hope it's now ok.

Thanks, this is fine now.  A minor issue:

+       -test -d "$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)" || \
+               $(mkinstalldirs) "$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)";

If you break a line, please start the new line with the operator:

  -test -d "$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)" \
           || $(mkinstalldirs) "$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)";

>> *Never* change this file manually!  It is a generic one provided
>> from GNU (normally called `INSTALL').  Please restore it (or get
>> the newest version from the `gnulib' or `automake' git repository).
>
> Yeah!  I got an actual version from `automake'  I added a line on top
> that this file should not be changed.

Uh, please no.  The idea is that this file is *identical* to the
original one.  The fact that it shouldn't be modified manually could
be documented in a yet-to-be-written `FOR-RELEASE' file which
describes how to prepare groff for a new release.

> I got a curious error messaqge from the grog Makefile.sub.  In the
> ionternet it is said that `GNU make' works only correctly when all
> lines start with a `tab' instead of spaces.  I corrected this and
> the compilation worked without problems.

Well, if a line gets continued with `\', no tabs are necessary.  Ah, I
now see that you've removed the line continuation mark, so this line:

                $(srcdir)/grog.pl >$@;
        chmod +x $@;

should rather be

                $(srcdir)/grog.pl >$@; \
        chmod +x $@;

> PS: I do not have time to proceed work until 24 April 2013.  If
> there is still some misbehavior someone else should do it.  The
> `grog' in the CVS works, but it's not 100% ok.  Please do not fix it
> because I created a new version which does not work so far.

OK.  Maybe I find some time.