Re: [Groff] autoconf and autoreconf

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] autoconf and autoreconf
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 22:20:08 +0200 (CEST)

>> Does that mean that in CVS all files generated by
>> autconf/autoreconf such as `configure' should vanish?  So everyone
>> using CVS must first run autoconf/autoreconf?
>
> That's my understanding of what Werner and Keith have been saying,
> yes.

Indeed, but:

> I'd hope you don't find too many in there in a current check-out
> anyway.  Probabaly best to wait for Werner to confirm before making
> large changes if there's lots.

for convenience, I would leave it as-is for the time.  Zillions of
automatically created files is more a `problem' of automake than of
autoconf.  It's nothing urgent, and it's just a minor nuisance to
regenerate the top-level `configure' after a change to the affected
autoconf files.

However, in src/libs/gnulib, it's *much* more work to recreate
everything because generated files are also present (reason is that
gnulib heavily relies on automake and related tools).  Whoever steps
forward to do more maintainance of groff, the most important
structural improvement IMHO should be to merge this with the top-level
stuff.  While some people might be unhappy with the use of automake, I
have learnt to like it quite a lot while building up my own project
(ttfautohint), and I would welcome to introduce automake for groff
also.  Again, nothing really urgent, but in the end it would be an
important simplification, both code-wise and maintainance-wise.