Re: [Groff] autoconf and autoreconf

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] autoconf and autoreconf
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 23:22:36 +0100

On 13/04/13 22:12, Steffen Daode Nurpmeso wrote:
Keith Marshall<address@hidden>  wrote:
  |On 13/04/13 14:52, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
  |>> Any comments?
  |
  |Some projects do commit configure, others don't.  IMO, it is better if
  |it is*not*  committed, but IIRC it has been there, in groff's CVS, for
  |as long as I've been associated with the project.  I would be in favour
  |of removing it now...

Please don't change this friendly current situation.

It is really a terrible thing that many projects do no longer
/ not ship a self-contained repository, but one that requires an
immense amount of utilities just to create a runnable configure
script.

configure would *always* be shipped within released source tarballs; however, it is a *generated* file, and does *not* belong in a CVS repository, IMO.

To generate configure, you need autoconf, together with its perl and m4 pre-requisites; I don't think it unreasonable to expect those building from CVS to have those installed, (especially when they already need tools such as flex and bison, which also require m4, and groff wants perl anyway). In any project with multiple committers, such as groff, it is unrealistic to demand that all developers maintain their tool chains at *identically* the same autoconf version; if they don't, and configure is held in CVS, then its content will thrash backwards and forwards between disparate states, often with several hundreds of lines of script oscillating, as different developers commit possibly only single line changes to configure.ac or aclocal.m4. Not a serious issue, perhaps; just untidy. It is simply cleaner to leave each individual to generate his own local copy of configure.

Keith.