Re: [Groff] error handling if Perl is not suitable

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] error handling if Perl is not suitable
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 23:52:28 +0200 (CEST)

> Von: "James K. Lowden" <address@hidden>
>
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 21:48:49 +0200 (CEST)
> "Bernd Warken" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > It would make sense to install this Perl error handling at a single
> > space somewhere in the configure place.
> >
> > Has anyone an idea how this could be made or where one can learn how
> > to do this.
>
> have_perl:
>       @command -v perl || ( echo "need perl" >&2; exit 1 )
>
> Add that to the Makefile and make have_perl a prerequisite for some
> early target.
>
> Would that do what you want?

Not bad.  I just found that configure sets the variable $(PERLPATH) when
a perl program was found.  Then each Perl part of groff can use that
variable in its Makefile.sub for testing the Perl version with
$(PERLPATH) -e 'require v...'.  That would work with make.

But so far I do not know what to do when $(PERLPATH) is empty (no Perl
program found) or if the version is wrong.

Bernd Warken