Re: [Groff] autoconf and autoreconf

From: Daode
Subject: Re: [Groff] autoconf and autoreconf
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 23:12:10 +0200

Keith Marshall <address@hidden> wrote:
 |On 13/04/13 14:52, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
 |>> Any comments?
 |
 |Some projects do commit configure, others don't.  IMO, it is better if
 |it is *not* committed, but IIRC it has been there, in groff's CVS, for
 |as long as I've been associated with the project.  I would be in favour
 |of removing it now...

Please don't change this friendly current situation.

It is really a terrible thing that many projects do no longer
/ not ship a self-contained repository, but one that requires an
immense amount of utilities just to create a runnable configure
script.

I've just set up a completely new box and added perl(1), mksh(1),
vim(1) and some others […] -- and it is so nice *not* to need this
huge toolchain.  E.g., GNU gettext alone has a 70 MB (!) checkout
(with the gettext.c of it consuming 10820 bytes).

Even if i had a locale package cache, being able to simply update
a repository on releases / bugfixes and to simply recompile the
package is definitely a quality-of-implementation in my eyes.

 |Keith.

Ciao,

--steffen