Re: [Groff] autoconf and autoreconf

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] autoconf and autoreconf
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 16:52:28 +0100

On 13/04/13 14:52, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

I ran `autoconf'.  There was a subdirectory `autom4te.cache/'
created.  First I just deleted it.

This is correct.

Then I learned that `autoreconf' is the better `autoconf' because it
automatically calls all necessary `autotools'.  But `autoreconf' also
creates the subdirectory `autom4te.cache/'.  I learned that this
subdirectory is used by the tool `autom4te', which is used internally
by many `autotols'.

So I think I should add this to the groff CVS.

Certainly not!

Agreed. autom4te.cache should *never*, under any circumstances, be committed into a CVS (nor indeed, any other type of SCM) repository; isn't it already enumerated in .cvsignore, to make this clear?

Any comments?

This directory and its contents is *always* intermediate!  It just
speeds up the execution of the autoconf tools.  Actually, the
`configure' script itself shouldn't be stored in the repository but
generated during a `make tarball' call...

Some projects do commit configure, others don't. IMO, it is better if it is *not* committed, but IIRC it has been there, in groff's CVS, for as long as I've been associated with the project. I would be in favour of removing it now...

Please remove it again.

I second that. What a pity that it ever got committed, to pollute the repository for evermore, albeit with only a fleeting appearance.

Keith.