Re: [Groff] Diagrams in ASCII but text in UTF-8

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Diagrams in ASCII but text in UTF-8
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 20:36:51 +0100 (CET)

> I use pic to produce some diagrams and output it in ASCII (because I
> like it).  Nevertheless, I also want to output the text in UTF‐8
> because I use some special characters.  Is there a solution to get
> the diagrams in ASCII and the text in UTF‐8?

This is not possible.  The used characters for box crossings and the
like are hard-coded into grotty, and you can only decide globally
whether to use -Tutf8 or -Tascii.  However, a small post-processing
script to replace the box and line characters with ASCII equivalents
should work.

You can find the used characters in src/devices/grotty/tty.cpp (look
for `is_unicode' clauses).