Re: [Groff] groff-current fail to compile

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff-current fail to compile
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:44:30 +0100 (CET)

>> You need more programs for compiling from the CVS than from the
>> tarball.  In particular, you need a bunch of netpbm programs which
>> you obviously don't have on your machine.
>
> That may explain why I encounter different issues patching 1.22.1
> using groff-1.22.1-current.diff.gz.  I am unsure all the issues new
> from 1.22.x were fixed by current cvs code.  But that's hard to test
> when you have other issues compiling the sources.

:-)

> I didn't try from cvs code.  Isn't groff-current package somehow
> already boostrapped?  Obviously I directly run ./configure

No.  Some additional generated files get distributed with the tarball
and are not contained in the CVS archive.

> pnmtops is tested in configure, so make should not try to run it if
> it was not found by configure.

This is true for the tarball only.

> I agree issues may remain with others programs not found if
> ./configure didn't test for them.

Additionaly preliminaries necessary for compilation from CVS are
explicitly *not* tested in the configure script.  The README file says

  Depending on your requirements, you may need at least some of the
  following tools to build `groff' directly from its source:

    ghostscript
    the psutils package
    the netpbm package
    texinfo 4.8
    bison >= 1.875b or byacc

Obviously, the `requirements' for compilation from CVS are that you
have all those packages.  I've just slightly improved the wording.