Re: [Groff] _Unix Text Processing_ Fails to Build.

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [Groff] _Unix Text Processing_ Fails to Build.
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 20:00:45 +0000

On Sunday 27 Jan 2013 08:43:16 Larry Kollar wrote:
> Sorry about the long-delayed response, guys. I've been up to my eyeballs
> with both fiction and reality this month. I must be crazy to have agreed to
> launch two novellas two weeks apart. :-P
>
> I'll apply the Chapter 9 patch, as the patched groff is unlikely to be
> universal any time soon. In the meantime, we need to collect info about new
> material we want to add — pdfmark is an obvious candidate, as Ralph pointed
> out, and it looks like Deri has sorted the bookmark/xref hyperlinks issue
> (if not, we can use my work markup). One thing my solution doesn't solve,
> is hyperlinks in the table of contents (that was a not-so-simple fix, it
> turns out). Deri, does your patch handle that?
>
> For other UTP mods, things might go a little faster if we take smaller steps
> instead of one huge, year-long march. It would certainly fit with my
> current life, or I'd be glad to delegate or turn leadership over. What new
> material would everyone like to see? I've committed myself to a chapter or
> section on producing clean HTML from groff (it can be done with some
> pre-planning and post-processing). I'd like to see Deri write up something
> about that monster production run, which we could title "Scale THIS" :-D
>
> Let's hear what everyone else wants to see, then we can prioritize and get
> started.
>
> -- Larry

If you download the pdf here:-

http://chuzzlewit.co.uk/utp_book-1.1.pdf

You can see what the book looks like after my patch has been applied. You
should see:-

A bookmark overview pane with clickable entries for all .Se/.Ah/.Bh entries.
(You have to open the section level to see the Ah and Bh entries.)

The Contents page is entirely clickable  for .Se and .Ah entries.

The index entries are clickable on the page numbers.

Any use in the text of "See Chapter ..." or "See Table ..." (where the table
is on a different page to the text referring to it) is clickable.

Cheers

Deri