Re: [Groff] extended font macro

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] extended font macro
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 00:23:22 +0100

> Groff does have established syntax for that, namely \fItext1
> \fRtext2 \fItext3 \fRtext4.  [...] it is how roff syntax looks
> like: this century is not the right time to change basic roff
> syntax.

I disagree.  While this is legal, it is not "established".
In fact, the recommended way to change fonts in manpages
is to use the R, I, B, RI, BI, etc. macros.

> Besides, i see no point in making low-level operations look
> nice syntactically.

There's more to it than just making the syntax look nice.
These macros can also make the output look nice by
automatically adding things like italic correction,
without requiring the writer to worry about this.