Re: [Groff] GPL or FDL

From: Daode
Subject: Re: [Groff] GPL or FDL
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 22:13:39 +0100

"Bernd Warken" <address@hidden> wrote:

 |I will not follow that line. A roff that accepts only 2-letter-macros
 |today has no chance to survive.
 |
 |The original RUNOFF had very long command names, for example
 |.ADJUST
 |
 |Each command had an abbreviation of 2 letters, with the lang name as the
 |standard. But the following roff took only these 2-letter-abbreviations
 |and discarded the original long names. That became the home of the
 |commercial Unix versions.
 |
 |I protest against this bullshit and use long macro names. So the weak
 |commercial roff programs should see where they are. Forget about them.

Wow!  Are you willing to overcome one restriction all roffs afaik have
and that makes me write terrible crap like

  .ds S:LIST_BULLET_ITEM_EMBED \
  \\*[S:LIST_ITEM_DESC\\n[S:#LIST_LVL]]\\h'|\\n[S:#LIST_SEP\\n[S:#LIST_LVL]]u'\

i.e., let me write \*[ITEM] even if that was a macro not a string.
(Or has something adorable happened since then.)

 |Bernd Warken

--steffen