Re: [Groff] Wrapping Text Arond Figures and Captions

From: Denis M. Wilson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Wrapping Text Arond Figures and Captions
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:42:57 +0000

Hello all,

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:02:58 +0100
Patrik Schindler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Am 23.01.2013 um 22:53 schrieb Frank Jahnke:
>
> > I would like to revisit a topic that has come up from time to time
> > over the years but really has not been solved.  That is wrapping
> > text around figures and their captions.
>

> Yes, I am still aware of this topic and it still has a place on my
> long term ToDo-List. Werner's Macro should be seen as a starter for
> own optimizing and extending.
>
> I'm very grateful for this start, even if my time doesn't permit
> tinkering with this topic for a long time now. (Werner: Thanks,
> again, repeatedly!)
>
> I'm also not able to do groff coding myself. But I'm pretty sure that
> there will be no-one who fixes Werner's starter except people who
> want to solve this problem for themselves and are willing to learn
> enough of groffs gores to get it done.
>
> Last question is: Who gets it done first? ;-)

I've tried Werner's rfloat.tmac, which wraps text around a picture aligned
on the right margin. It is easily adapted to use a left-adjusted picture.

What is also possible is to wrap text around a centred picture, but that's
more difficult.

What I cannot see is how to wrap text round a non-centred pic, or even
harder, something like:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxx .---------. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxx |         | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxx |         | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxx |         | xxxxxxxx .------. xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxx |         | xxxxxxxx |      | xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxx |         | xxxxxxxx |      | xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxx `---------' xxxxxxxx |      | xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |      | xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |      | xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx `------' xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have different macros for the first two cases, and for leaving a hole
in the centre of a paragraph (I've just not got round to placing a picture
in it yet).

Denis