Re: [Groff] Included files are not preprocessed

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Included files are not preprocessed
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 07:36:09 +0100 (CET)

>>   $ groff -V -s -Kcp1251 -t -Tutf8
>>   soelim | preconv -ecp1251 | tbl | troff -Tutf8 | grotty
>
> Not that you should ever do this, but if you were using, say,
> UTF-16, soelim would not be very effective unless preconv ran first.

Indeed.  However, it's just a matter of taste to handle funny preconv
and soelim cases with either

  soelim | groff -K ...

(current groff) or with

  preconv -e... | groff -s ...

(patched groff).[1] Such pipes even work on Windows (which can handle
text files only in pipes, AFAIK).

So I would follow what people actually prefer.  Theoretically, I could
even add a command line switch to groff which decides the position of
preconv and groff in the command pipe, but this is perhaps too
extreme.

    Werner

[1] It would be a good idea to document this, BTW :-)