Re: [Groff] Macro packages

From: Denis M. Wilson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Macro packages
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 14:54:10 +0100

Hello all,

Pierre-Jean, you ask for experiences of users.  My own is
that I used troff for all academic documentation, once Unix
was obtained, but once groff appeared (in the early 1990s)
writing troff macros became easier (well, less difficult).

I did a great number of newsletters and handbooks, trying to
learn the rules of good typography as I went along, and learning
by example.  I developed a number of different packages, but it
became clear that they all had common features, so I decided to
start from scratch and write a LaTeX-inspired comprehensive
package, which I now use for everything except man pages.
I have retrospectively converted some technical LaTeX documents
to use my package, and the results were very successful.

My package (-markup) is as ambitious as -mom, but very different
in it's user interface and coding style, probably as I have a
maths and programming background, whereas Peter's is more
literary.

I've occasionally attempted to typeset poetry, which I found quite
difficult.

One of my regrets is that there is no troff interface for Lilypond...

Denis