Re: [Groff] [groff] Macro Packages

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: Re: [Groff] [groff] Macro Packages
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 18:21:47 -0400

> Can anyone tell me a short introduction to the ms, mm, me, mom macro packages?
Because it's been in my fingers for 30 years, I use ms and the preprocessors
for everything that I'm likely to want to keep the source for.  It requires
you to know some underlying troff, for example to set number registers for
parameters like point size--but then if you don't know the basics of troff,
the behavior of most any macro package is likely to be mysterious.
Besides man 7 groff_ms, Lesk's original introduction is well aimed
at beginners. Subsequent evolution has not rendered it obsolete.
You can find it in http://plan9.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan/msmacros.bun.

Doug McIlroy