[Groff] Problem building on 32 bit Ubuntu 11.04

From: Blake McBride
Subject: [Groff] Problem building on 32 bit Ubuntu 11.04
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:01:04 -0500

I've built groff many time before from CVS but can't now.  I get:

address@hidden:~/Backup/groff$ ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking minix/config.h usability... no
checking minix/config.h presence... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking that C++ compiler can compile simple program... yes
checking that C++ static constructors and destructors are called... yes
checking that header files support C++... yes
checking whether character set is EBCDIC... no
checking for X... libraries , headers
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for Xaw library and header files... no
checking for Xmu library and header files... no
configure: gxditview and xtotroff won't be built
checking for lpr... lpr
checking for lp... lp
checking for lpq... lpq
checking for command to use for printing PostScript files... lpr
checking for command to use for printing dvi files... lpr -d
checking for egrep... (cached) /bin/grep -E
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for byacc... no
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
checking for makeinfo version... 4.13
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for install-info... install-info
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for csh hash hack... no
checking stddef.h usability... yes
checking stddef.h presence... yes
checking for stddef.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking dirent.h usability... yes
checking dirent.h presence... yes
checking for dirent.h... yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking sys/dir.h usability... yes
checking sys/dir.h presence... yes
checking for sys/dir.h... yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking math.h usability... yes
checking math.h presence... yes
checking for math.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking direct.h usability... no
checking direct.h presence... no
checking for direct.h... no
checking process.h usability... no
checking process.h presence... no
checking for process.h... no
checking for ISC 3.x or 4.x... no
checking whether -D_POSIX_SOURCE is necessary... no
checking for return type of srand... void
checking whether gettimeofday must be declared... no
checking whether hypot must be declared... no
checking whether popen must be declared... no
checking whether pclose must be declared... no
checking whether putenv must be declared... no
checking whether rand must be declared... no
checking whether snprintf must be declared... no
checking whether srand must be declared... no
checking whether strcasecmp must be declared... no
checking whether strncasecmp must be declared... no
checking whether vfprintf must be declared... no
checking whether vsnprintf must be declared... no
checking for sys_nerr in <errno.h>, <stdio.h>, or <stdlib.h>... yes
checking for sys_errlist in <errno.h>, <stdio.h>, or <stdlib.h>... yes
checking C++ <osfcn.h>... no
checking C++ <limits.h>... yes
checking C++ <inttypes.h>... yes
checking for unsigned long long... yes
checking for declaration of time_t... yes
checking for return type of signal handlers... void
checking struct exception... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for main in -lc... yes
checking for sin in -lm... yes
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for shared library run path origin... done
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for iconv... yes
checking for working iconv... yes
checking for iconv declaration...
         extern size_t iconv (iconv_t cd, char * *inbuf, size_t
*inbytesleft, char * *outbuf, size_t *outbytesleft);
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for working mmap... yes
checking for fmod... yes
checking for getcwd... yes
checking for putenv... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for strncasecmp... yes
checking for strtol... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for isatty... yes
checking for kill... yes
checking for rename... yes
checking for setlocale... yes
checking for strsep... yes
checking for mkstemp... yes
checking whether sys_siglist is declared... no
checking whether getc_unlocked is declared... yes
checking for nl_langinfo and CODESET... yes
checking whether ANSI array delete syntax is supported... yes
checking traditional preprocessor... no
checking w_coredump... no
checking default value for grops -b option... 0
checking default paper size... letter
checking for existing troff installation... no
checking for prefix of system macro packages...
checking which system macro packages should be made available...
checking separator character to use in groff search paths... :
checking for gs... gs
checking for pnmcut... missing
checking for pnmcrop... missing
checking for pnmtopng... missing
checking for psselect... missing
checking for pnmtops... missing
configure: WARNING: missing programs:

  The programs
     `pnmcut', `pnmcrop', `pnmtopng', `psselect' and `pnmtops'
  cannot be found in the PATH.
  Consequently, groff's HTML backend (grohtml) will not work properly;
  therefore, it will neither be possible to prepare, nor to install,
  documentation in HTML format.

checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether pnmtops can handle the -nosetpage option... no
checking whether we are using the GNU C Library >= 2.1 or uClibc... yes
checking for symlink... yes
checking for working fcntl.h... yes
checking whether getc_unlocked is declared... (cached) yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating stamp-h
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating src/utils/xtotroff/Makefile
config.status: creating contrib/gdiffmk/tests/runtests
config.status: creating test-groff
config.status: creating src/include/config.h
address@hidden:~/Backup/groff$
address@hidden:~/Backup/groff$ make
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/blake/Backup/groff'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/blake/Backup/groff/src/include'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/blake/Backup/groff/src/include'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/blake/Backup/groff/arch/misc'
/bin/bash ./shdeps.sh ":" ":" "/usr/local/bin" > shdeps.sed
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/blake/Backup/groff/arch/misc'
mkdir -p -- src/libs/gnulib
/bin/bash: line 11: ./configure: No such file or directory
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/blake/Backup/groff/src/libs/gnulib'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/blake/Backup/groff/src/libs/gnulib'
make[1]: *** [src/libs/gnulib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/blake/Backup/groff'
make: *** [all] Error 2
address@hidden:~/Backup/groff$