Re: [Groff] Table cell vertical align

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] Table cell vertical align
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 12:06:29 +0200

> I had overlooked/forgotten the 'd' specifier.

It's a GNU tbl extension (the original tbl had only "t" for
top-aligning, the default being vertically centered).

> I'll have to read the man page more carefully, but I must
> admit it's not very easy to understand fully.

Since "d" is only valid for vertically spanned items, the trick
is to convert the normal table entries into vertically spanned
entries, which you can do by following the data line with

  \^;\^

I'm not sure whether vertically spanning *all* items in a line
was ever intended in the design of tbl, but with groff it works
great, even to the extent that the vertical size of the entries
remains *exactly* what it was without the vertical spanning.