Re: [Groff] breaking long .FG figure captions?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] breaking long .FG figure captions?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 00:33:39 +0200 (CEST)

> which I'd like to break into several shorter
> lines, but this doesn't seem to work:

Yes, eqn inserts various computations so that line continuations in
macros don't work.  As a rule of thumb, don't use eqn stuff in macro
arguments but put them into a string defined in advance.

> .DS CB
> .PIC -C rep-peeq-srf.ps 5.0
> .FG "Equivalent plastic strain ahead\
>  of the notch (if any) for all models at\
>  $-196 sup{0}$C at the surface at\
>  $epsilon sub{p} = 0.2%$ or shortly after."\
>  "" 0 fig:peeq-srf
> .SETR fig:peeq-srf
> .DE

The following works:

  .DS CB
  .PIC -C rep-peeq-srf.ps 5.0
  .ds caption "Equivalent plastic strain ahead\"
  .as caption " of the notch (if any) for all models at\"
  .as caption " $-196$\[de]C at the surface at\"
  .as caption " $epsilon sub{p} = 0.2%$ or shortly after.\"
  .FG "\*[caption]" "" 0 fig:peeq-srf
  .SETR fig:peeq-srf
  .DE

I use trailing \" to avoid empty spaces at the end of lines (which .ds
and .as happily store otherwise).