Re: [Groff] Question re: groff to PS to PDF to Microsoft Word...

From: brian m. carlson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Question re: groff to PS to PDF to Microsoft Word...
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 21:32:33 +0000

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 01:54:58PM -0600, Clarke Echols wrote:
> Can I reliably get from groff source to PS (no EQN, but may include
> tables), then convert to PDF using ps2pdf with the expectation that
> Word will import the PDF file and convert to DOC without breaking
> things?

I don't know that Word can import from PDF at all, and I suspect that it
is far from perfect if it can—after all, Microsoft has a format called
XPS that competes with PDF.  I also think trying to get tables from PDF
(or for that matter, PostScript) into any sort of reasonable structural
format is not likely to work.  You should definitely try it first.
Maybe you can see if LibreOffice can import PDFs successfully; it can
output to Word format if you need to.