Re: [Groff] Included files are not preprocessed

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] Included files are not preprocessed
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:45:51 +0400

Tadziu Hoffmann:

> Interesting  that you mention this, because that's
> exactly what I usually do  (inspired  by  man,  of
> course).   That is, I have a shell script "myroff"
> [*] which reads the first line of the input  file,
> interprets  it as options, and calls groff accord-
> ingly (and also opens/refreshes the gv window with
> the output).  You could also use this shell script
> as a replacement for the  "driver"  program  groff
> and build your own pipeline with it instead.
>
> (It  goes  without saying that such a script is of
> course permanently under construction.)
> [...]

Thanks for sharing your script, Tadziu!  I  hesitate
to  use  more than trivial scripts for groff because
I'd have to maintain them in  two  verstions:  POSIX
and MSDOS, but that might be a good reason for me to
learn both.

By the way, the principle of early processing  stat-
ing that any decision in a program should be made as
soon as the relevant information  becomes  available
seems  to speak in favour of intalling pre-processed
macro files...