Re: [Groff] Included files are not preprocessed

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Included files are not preprocessed
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 02:45:25 +0200 (CEST)

> On the other hand, I already have a macro package which I use to
> maintain more than one document.  Naturally, I want to keep it in
> the tmac directory and call via the -m option, which I can't because
> it has to be preprocessed with gpreconv on account of its containing
> bits of Russian text...

Compare this to the doc package: Before installation to the tmac
directory, (almost) all names have the prefix `doc-' which gets
stripped, together with all leading whitespace.  Using a Makefile for
doing `make install', it is really trivial to preprocess the macro
file with preconv before installing it.

>   1.  Maybe a convention similar to that used for man pages -- list
>       required preprocessors on the first line of the source in a
>       comment -- would be better?  Of course, the source encoding
>       will also have to be specified for gpreconv.

Honestly, I don't see a need for that.  In particular, it will cause
problems with older versions of groff.

>   2.  Have an option to process all files: input, included via .so
>       and .mso, and called via -m with all the preprocessors
>       specified on command line.  This would be a working, although
>       dirty, solution.

I'm not convinced that this is really useful.