Re: [Groff] "Confessions of a UNIX Junkie".

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] "Confessions of a UNIX Junkie".
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 19:43:39 -0600

On 06/10/2012 06:16 PM, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
Hi,

"By day, I struggled with getting dot leaders into adjusted text with
troff..." -- http://article.olduse.net/address@hidden

Cheers, Ralph.

That brings back memories, though it's a bit before my time.  My first
encounters with Usenet News was about 1985, as I recall.  I don't use
'dd' and 'tr', but 'find' is a regular, along with that new marvelous
Linuxism: 'locate -i'.

And oh the ecstasy of 'firefox <URL> from a terminal window instead of
having to open a browser window, double-click on the address bar, then
type in a URL.

Linux users who don't run terminal windows are missing the boat.

And 'vim' -- even better than 'vi' which I started using in 1984!  And
it's still my editor of choice.  And building a website from components
with a simple shell script -- who needs a Content Management System that
gives you 181 files for a single page (WordPress does that all the time,
including 8 CSS files!) when I can do the same with an HTML file, a CSS
file, and two image files to give it artistic appeal.

All done from the Bash command line.

'Tis true.  Microsoft software is the crabgrass on the lawn of life.

Clarke