Re: [Groff] Groff and computer education

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Groff] Groff and computer education
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 10:09:53 -0400

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 01:11:00PM -0400, Steve Izma wrote:
> James Lowden sent me, off list, this link to an article he wrote
> about the relevance of groff to fundamental concepts of
> programming and computer use. I assume he's too modest to
> broadcast it, but I think it's excellent:
>
> <http://www.schemamania.org/troff/student-troff.pdf>
>
> Apart from all the typographical issues he raises, I think it
> shows how groff is a superior utility because it's a programming
> language, entirely unlike WYSIWYG systems.

Which reminds me ...
>From  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Kernighan

        Kernighan is also known as a coiner of the expression "What You See Is
        All You Get (WYSIAYG)", which is a sarcastic variant of the original
        "What You See Is What You Get" (WYSIWYG).  Kernighan's term is used to
        indicate that WYSIWYG systems might throw away information in a
        document that could be useful in other contexts.

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems

 973 822-2085