Re: [Groff] Groff and computer education

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Groff and computer education
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 11:53:13 -0600

On 05/12/2012 11:11 AM, Steve Izma wrote:
James Lowden sent me, off list, this link to an article he wrote
about the relevance of groff to fundamental concepts of
programming and computer use. I assume he's too modest to
broadcast it, but I think it's excellent:

<http://www.schemamania.org/troff/student-troff.pdf>

Apart from all the typographical issues he raises, I think it
shows how groff is a superior utility because it's a programming
language, entirely unlike WYSIWYG systems.

        -- Steve

Bravo!

What a masterpiece and an indictment of our "modern" education
system that serves better as a factory for churning out mindless
robots who can't think, can't write, and have no marketable
skills, as so clearly demonstrated by "demonstrators" in the
streets of major US cities.

I suggested my oldest daughter take physics her senior year in
high school.  She didn't like it.  Why?  Because the idiot
teacher *started* them with electrical and magnetic theory,
instead of teaching the practical, useful principles of
kinematics (force and motion), then build that into electricity
and magnetism.

Is there a possibility I could get permission to put this
masterpiece on my website where my prospects and clients can
see how Microsoft-centric "education" is harming their
businesses and why I don't use WYSIWYG software unless forced
to?

Of course I'd do it with full attribution and a link to his
site if James is willing.

Thanks for putting this up for us to discover.

Clarke