Re: [Groff] U+0027, U+002D, and U+0060 in code examples?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] U+0027, U+002D, and U+0060 in code examples?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 12:39:03 +0200 (CEST)

> I've played around a bit with this

Thanks for that!

> and the difficulty I've had is getting ghostscript to actually emit
> a ToUnicode map.  I've managed it only by hacking the ghostscript
> source (making pdf_simple_font_needs_ToUnicode() always return
> true).

Hmm.  Please report this to the gs people.  Either this is a bug in
the documentation, or it's really a problem with the implementation.

> Another point: GlyphNames2Unicode appears to only support single
> Unicode points, so we can't map one glyph to a sequence of
> characters, as would be desirable for uncommon ligatures.  But for
> copy-and-pasting command lines it should be enough.

This is not a problem per se, given that a PDF interpreter should be
able to decompose glyph names, provided the names followsthe Adobe
Glyph List (AGL) rules.  For example, a glyph called `i_j' should be
automatically split into `i' and `j'.