Re: [Groff] Apostrophe mapped onto single closing quotation mark

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] Apostrophe mapped onto single closing quotation mark
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 19:35:18 +0200

> The problem with switching U+27 for another glyph is it messes
> up cut-and-paste.  Could a PDF specify a normal font with the
> modification of a sexy right single quote copy to U+27?

Since Postscript Type-1 fonts are customarily re-encoded for
convenience, when selecting text for copying acroread cannot
go by the character numbers but must instead look up the
names in the encoding vector.  But that unfortunately means
that simply changing the encoding in groff is not sufficient,
and we explicitly have to rename the glyphs within the font
file (e.g., we want the glyph that looks like "quoteright",
but it has to be called "quotesingle").  Additionally, we
have to map groff's quotes to 8 (quotesingle) and 146 (grave)
in the font description file (or we define a new encoding file
and use that).  But it's possible, as the attached PDF shows.

(Don't know about Truetype fonts.)

> And for the web we have web fonts, so a page could specify
> a doctored one for those?

Possibly, but I have no experience with those.