Re: [Groff] [groff] table of contents and hyperlinks

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] [groff] table of contents and hyperlinks
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 13:48:48 -0400

On Wed, May 02, 2012, Bertrand Garrigues wrote:
> > Message du 29/04/12 13:52
> > De : "Keith Marshall"
>
> > There are much better techniques for generating tables of content,
> > particularly when used in conjunction with multiple pass processing,
> > (such as is performed by pdfroff); I've often thought that, one day, I
> > might develop an add-on toc.tmac implementation, which would integrate
> > with pdfroff, but I've never been able to find the time to progress it,
> > beyond a conceptual idea.

Deri James has been working on integrating his native gropdf driver
with the mom macros, which, in addition to making possible internal
and external pdf links, implements a pdflinked TOC that can be
positioned anywhere in the document.  In testing, it works like a
charm.  This, in turn, has got me rethinking mom's heads-and-toc
implementation, on which I am presently working.

Best of all, Deri's written a script, pdfmom, that takes care of
multiple passes, and respects the page dimensions set in mom files,
thereby circumventing the need for passing papersizes to the
postprocessor from the command line.

In addition, pdfmom accepts a -Tps flag, which passes everything
over to Keith's pdfroff and produces output almost identical to that
of the gropdf device--a major plus for documents that include images
embedded with PSPIC, at least until someone comes up with PDFPIC, or
something similar.

Not much help right now, but this seems like a good thread on which
to announce what's coming up with mom, TOCs, and pdf.

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of The Binbrook Caucus
http://www.schaffter.ca