Re: [Groff] [GROFF] OpenType fonts

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] [GROFF] OpenType fonts
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 15:12:53 -0400

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012, Denis M. Wilson wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 13:30:38 -0400
> Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > This works for me:
> >
> > - use fontforge to convert the .otf to .t42 and .pfa (which
> >   generates an .afm)
> > - use the .afm, with afmtodit, to generate a groff font
> > - move the .t42 and groff font to your groff font dir (I use
> >   site-font/devps so my fonts survive across groff installations)
> > - add the font to your 'download' file
> >

> Peter, thanks for that. It works fine, although laborious.

Attached is a bash script, install-font, that automates the process.
I'll eventually be making it available on the mom website, so please
test.

> There are still problems, such as the smallcaps names are a.sc etc,
> and ligatures are given unicode names so afmtodit does not recognise
> them.

Of the various freely-available font conversion utilities, fontforge
seems the least error prone; however, it does occasionally entail
the problems you mention.  Does anyone know of a utility that
circumvents them?

> By doing the translation I may be violating the license.

Not much one can do about that, except rely on the honour system.

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of The Binbrook Caucus
http://www.schaffter.ca