Re: [Groff] Bottom Line of tbl Cell.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bottom Line of tbl Cell.
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 20:14:11 +0100

Hi Tadziu,

> > The 3bot warning is present even if I remove my explicit use of it
> > from foo.tbl;
>
> I don't get any warnings about 3bot.

I'm probably running an older groff and it's already fixed in yours.

> > [snip]  So vertically centred would be harder to parse.
>
> The following works:
>
>   * replace the format specification by
>
>      lt nd.
>
>   * remove the vertical motion and instead follow the data line with
>
>      \^:\^
>
> (The "t" isn't necessary unless the item in the second column can be
> taller than the one in the first column.)

Thanks!  This works.  Next time I should read the fine manual to spot
the GNU extension.

tbl(1) says

    d,D    Start an item vertically spanning rows at the bottom of its
           range rather than vertically centering it (GNU tbl only).

The use of \^ in all the rows' columns is novel to me.  By `vertically
spanning' the man page strictly means \^ and nothing but it seems;  a
cell that uses T{...T} and requires more than one line isn't affected.
Also, I note the \^:\^ row takes no space;  the resulting PDF is
identical to my \n[3bot] bodge.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Ralph.