Re: [Groff] modern xman?

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: [Groff] modern xman?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:22:15 -0400

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:01:17 +0000
Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:

> Producing PDF is easy enough,
>
>     man -Tps 3 sleep | ps2pdf - sleep.3.pdf
>
> but the PDFs don't link either.
>
> Online sites do provide HTML man pages with linking, e.g.
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/en/man3/sleep.3.html

Thanks for the suggestions.  Quite a few projects have managed to
generate linked HTML man pages.  I guess that shows the problem is well
enough defined that the link target can be reliably inferred.

What I like is something that works as fast as using man(1) on an
xterm, and is as convenient for scanning text as less(1), but is
prettier and more intelligent.  (I'm sure that description leaves you
wondering if I'm talking about software or a companion.)

HTML and Gnome/KDE are both "practical" in the
sense that they leverage other, more widely used, technologies.  But
there's nothing inherent in the displaying of a document in X that
requires a desktop environment or the lossage of HTML.

Thanks again.  I was faintly surprised to find no improvement on xman
that didn't mean adopting a new religion.  I posted here hoping someone
would remember an obscure project I might have missed.

--jkl