[Groff] modern xman?

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: [Groff] modern xman?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:03:37 -0500

Like everyone else, I normally use nroff and man(1) to view manpages.
Sometimes I whimsically use xman or tkman.

It occurs to me that I'm using a bitmapped display on a 3,300 MHz
processor with quite a few fonts installed.  I could benefit from troff
output and pretty, proportional fonts on my X display, if only there
were a viewer designed for dealing with, oh, dvi or ps.  For extra
credit, the "SEE ALSO" references could be "hyperlinks" that would
create and load the referenced file when clicked on.  Really, this
could be big.

Is anyone here aware of a troff-ish project to display man pages?  I
can name several projects, starting with info, designed to *replace*
man pages with something better?  I observe we still have man pages.  I
would be nice if we had something better than less(1) to view them in.

A quick search of the archives doesn't turn up anything relevant, so I
thought I'd ask.

--jkl