Re: [Groff] Using variables from register within fractions or equations

From: maouinin
Subject: Re: [Groff] Using variables from register within fractions or equations
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 04:39:04 -0800 (PST)

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Hi maouinin,
>
> Just to make we're aiming at the right target, can you confirm/correct
> these...
>
>> 1) for strong students: a blank line with the question number below --
>> no first letter given
>
> The blank line is contiguous and of fixed length, giving no clue as to
> the word length.  The question number is under the right-hand end of the
> line, 1, or do you want it centred, as if a fraction, 2?  Is the number
> to be the same size as the main text on a line of its own or more of a
> subscript?

Centered as if a fraction and of a smaller size more like a subscript.

>     I am _________ to be with you at your _________.
>                  1                            2
>
>> 2) for weaker students: a blank line with the question number below --
>> first letter given -- this is what i described in the original post
>
> But still a fixed-length line?

That is correct, line still of a fixed length.

>     I am h_________ to be with you at your c_________.
>                   1                             2
>
>> 3) for the weakest students: a line with the first letter and an
>> additional smaller line for each letter of the word being tested  --
>
> So,
>
>     I am h------- to be with you at your c-----------.
>                 1                              2
>
> except that h------- and c----------- would have a continuous line, in
> the same style as above, underneath them.
>
> For that last one it seems as if the presentation may be a limitation of
> using a TeX equation as it stops the normal ___ from being broken to
> indicate each letter.  If the formerly continuous underline could be
> broken into equal-length chunks, so as to no give away an `i' versus a
> `w', would that suffice?

Actually, under TeX I give the first letter followed by fixed-length,
underscored horizontal lines,
separated by spaces in the numerator, and the question number in the
denominator. The fraction
bar is still present. This does cause separate lines above the fraction bar,
but avoids the problem
of figuring out how far back to move the number under the question to get it
centered --
the fraction does that automatically. I'm pretty lazy, and I am not sure I
am skilled enough to figure out
how to do it without the fraction, since the lengths of words are different.

The lines for each letter are of a fixed length -- giving different lengths
for each letter would be a
bit too easy.

Thanks.