Re: [Groff] groff MM problem with AU/AT

From: Ken Mandelberg
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff MM problem with AU/AT
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:42:14 -0500

Anton Shepelev wrote, On 01/26/2012 02:53 PM:

I  don't  have access to any other implementation of
troff than groff, but I have  consulted  "The  Docu-
menter's  Workbench",  and  it seems that groff's mm
signature macros have incompatibilities more serious
than the omission of the title, and some errors too.
For example, it prints the AU attributes only before
the  last author's name, repeating (due to a typo in
the macro) his initials as many times as  there  are
authors, instead of listing those of each author...

Would you please send me the -Tascii and -Tps output
generated from the attached source file  so  that  I
could see what the result should look like?

Anton

Anton

To run this test I needed to modify sign.mm to place the ".MT 5" after the other directives. I haven't checked the original DWB documentation, but in the Gehani book "Document Formatting and Typesetting on the Unix system" this order is documented. With the MT earlier troff gets into an infinite "brk" loop trying to allocate memory.

I've attached the ascii and postscript output. It gets the multiple authors and author titles right, but makes a mess of the document title. I suspect the latter is too Bell Labs specific.

Ken