[Groff] mom headers not showing up

From: Samuel Stoddard
Subject: [Groff] mom headers not showing up
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 09:27:29 -0500

Hi!  I've been struggling for quite some time trying to get mom headers to
display.  What kills me is that I'm pretty sure this used to work, and only
stopped working once I upgraded my machine, so I'm suspecting a change to
the way mom works.  But whether it's that or not, this isn't working.
(groff, grops, and troff are all version 1.20.1.)

What happens is that I generate a postscript file, then convert that to a
PDF, and I see the HEADER_RULE and the space reserved for a header, but no
actual text in the header itself.  You can see the results at
http://www.rinkworks.com/bad_headers.ps and
http://www.rinkworks.com/bad_headers.pdf.  If you look at pages 2-4, you'll
see the header rules, with the recto/verso margins correctly observed.  But
no actual text.

Here is the groff source:

.TITLE "My Title"
.AUTHOR "Me"
.PRINTSTYLE TYPESET
.COPYSTYLE FINAL
\#
\# Margins.
\#
.T_MARGIN .75i
.B_MARGIN .75i
.L_MARGIN 1.0i
.R_MARGIN .75i
\#
\# Don't use mom cover pages.
\#
.DOC_COVERS OFF
.COVERS OFF
.DOCHEADER OFF
\#
\# Don't use page numbers.
\#
.PAGENUM_HYPHENS OFF
.PAGINATE OFF
\#
\# Alternate pages.
\#
.L_MARGIN 1.0i
.R_MARGIN .75i
.RECTO_VERSO
.HEADER_RECTO LEFT "RECTO HEADER"
.HEADER_VERSO LEFT "VERSO HEADER"
.HEADER_SIZE -2
\#
\# Margins for body.
\#
.HEADER_MARGIN .75i-12p
.T_MARGIN .75i-12p+3P
.FOOTER_MARGIN 0
\#
\# Let's roll.
\#
.HEADERS
.START

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
.NEWPAGE
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
.NEWPAGE
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
.NEWPAGE
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here?  If it helps, here are my
commands for generating the postscript and PDF files:

groff -U -Ww -p -mwww -mom < bad_headers.t > bad_headers.ps
/usr/bin/ps2pdf13 -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -dAutoFilterColorImages=false
-dColorImageFilter=/FlateEncode -dMaxInlineImageSize=50000000 - - <
bad_headers.ps > bad_headers.pdf

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!  In particular, my
forehead will appreciate not being banged into walls any more.

-- Sam.