Re: [Groff] Parsing specific section of man page

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Parsing specific section of man page
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 17:51:50 -0000 (GMT)

On 22-Jan-2012 Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi,
> Ingo Schwarze wrote:
>> This is a misguided, terrible idea in so many ways.
>
> Clarke Echols wrote:
>> I agree with Ingo.  Unix man pages are supposed to have a
>> well-defined sequence and format.
>
> (Many, the majority?, don't comply on common Linux systems,
> unfortunately.)
>
> Neither of you are allowing that Siteshwar may be doing this
> for his own personal enjoyment, for learning more, for a project
> to work on, or something that he'd like to use.
>
> bash(1) already has command_not_found_handle() and I'm sure
> I've heard of something that displays help, e.g. attempts
> `foo --help' on a keypress; perhaps that was with readline help.
> Anyway, disliking the inelegance of it shouldn't curtail
> Siteshwar's exploration. I did a half-baked Fortran-to-C in sh
> when I was learning.  :-)
>
> Cheers, Ralph.

Which reminds me of the time, back in the early 1980s, when I
wrote a serial-terminal program for my then CP/M-80 machine.
The BASIC that shipped with the machine was too slow for the
phone-line serial connection (1200 baud at the time), so I
wrote it in FORTRAN (the only compilable language I could
obtain for the machine at the time). It worked OK.

Then, later, I found a C compiler (Aztec C, if anyone remembers
that)[*] and that worked even better (and was an interesting
exercise in learning C).

Ted.
[*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_C

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>