Re: [Groff] odd interaction between .bl and .(c in -me macros

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: [Groff] odd interaction between .bl and .(c in -me macros
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 21:57:47 -0600

Thank you, Tadziu, for the detailed explanation of what's going on behind
the scenes.

>  4. Your diversion is output, but the space at the beginning
>    is ignored, since we are now in no-space mode.

I would say this part /is/ a bug, since the whole point of using the
.bl macro, instead of .sp, is that .bl should work even when no-space
mode is active.

More specifically, while .bl's documentation doesn't explicitly claim to
override no-space mode, it does say that it works at the top of a page,
which is precisely what it is failing to do here.  And it seems to me that
altering .bl to ignore no-space mode in other contexts wouldn't violate
its documented behavior.  (Since .bl's documentation doesn't mention
no-space mode at all, and .ns's documentation, as a groff primitive,
naturally doesn't mention any macro sets' macros, their documented
interaction would seem to be undefined.)  Thoughts?

In the meantime, thank you for providing a solution that works with
.bl's current behavior.