[Groff] MAKE_K_FLAG

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: [Groff] MAKE_K_FLAG
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 15:18:32 +0100

Hi,

Pascal Stumpf drew my attention to the fact that the following line
in the top-level Makefile.in is causing trouble:

  MAKE_K_FLAG=`case "$(MAKEFLAGS)" in *k*) echo ' -k ';; esac`

The problem is that *any* k character anywhere in MAKEFLAGS,
for example coming from something like

  make ... FOO=k ...

is mistaken for a -k flag, forcing some parts of the build to
ignore errors even when that is not desired, making errors harder
to spot.

Pascal found

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2006-01/msg00075.html

but we don't quite understand the reasoning given there, as
both BSD make and GNU make pass down -k to recursive make
child processes anyway, without doing anything special.

So it seems one could just remove MAKE_K_FLAG completely
without any adverse effect, fixing the trouble it is causing.
If you agree with my reasoning, please tell me to send a patch;
however, it is mostly going to be a backout patch for the
commit referenced above...

Thanks for having a look,
  Ingo